Monteleone: between Rite and Myth

Home >  The Town

The village of Monteleone di Spoleto

Since the Seventh Century B.C.

The village of Monteleone di Spoleto
The territory of Monteleone di Spoleto (PG) has been inhabited since ancient times, as widely documented by the archeological finds and the scientific excavations, which show the presence on site of small settlements, necropolis (Proto-Villanovan, Sabine and Umbrian) and Roman remains. The Eugubian Tablets of III-II century B.C. (that elaborate oldest texts, up to the 7th century B.C.) testify that the Monteleone area, along with other small villages present in the Valle del Corno, was inhabited by descendants of Sabine or Celtic people of "Nera" area, belonging to the tribe of Naharci or Naharki (from the etymology of the Nahar river, today known as Tascino and Corno, a tributary of the Nera River).

The small Umbrian town is universally known for the archaeological discovery, which occurred in 1902 in the locality called Colle del Capitano, a priceless work of Greek-Italic art, the so-called "Etruscan chariot" (the Etruscan Biga) consisting of a wagon parade of the mid-sixth century B.C. Recent hypotheses propose to identify Monteleone with the ancient Cursula, which Dionigi of Halicarnassus located at 80 stadiums from the Via Salaria, coming from Rieti near Mount Corito, while Strabone places it in the area where is located Cascia.